Choral Summer School
29 July – 5 August 2023 at St Catharine’s College
BRING A FRIEND AND SAVE £200 EACH!*
Our choral summer schools are singing holidays with a difference, a week-long immersion in Cambridge choral life, singing in a range of college chapels under different, world-class directors. We will sing beautiful Evensongs and tranquil Complines with a repertoire of exquisite music spanning chant, psalmody, Renaissance polyphony, masterpieces of the 20th century and choral music from living composers. And the holiday element of the singing holiday includes free time for punting, museum visits and a chance to sample the wines from a college cellar.
Step out of your college room and enjoy…
- Singing Evensong in four glorious Cambridge College chapels, each with a different acoustic, organ and feel
- Gala Concert to which friends and family are welcome
- Compline by candlelight
- Chamber group work where we can explore selected pieces in more detail
- Develop your voice with recorded 1-2-1 singing lessons covering different aspects of technique
- Nurture your vocal health with daily sessions to develop and sustain your voice
- Exclusive workshops on consort singing and choral directing
- View the Caius Choirbook manuscripts
- Visit the celebrated Fitzwilliam Museum
- Sing madrigals on a punting picnic on The Backs
- Formal dinner in the Combination Room at Peterhouse, Cambridge’s oldest college
- All meals included and prepared by college chefs
- Wines (and port) selected from the college cellars by the wine steward
There will also be time to explore Cambridge for yourself, perhaps the most intensive square mile of choral singing in the world; and to visit the famous Fitzbillies tea shop, Jack’s Gelato and The Eagle pub, where Crick and Watson celebrated their discovery of DNA in the Cavendish laboratory across the road. Part of the fun is of course breaking bread together, and we’ll enjoy delicious food prepared by a team of St Catharine’s chefs and wines from the college cellar – plus the opportunity for warm camaraderie and building new friendships with people who share your passion for singing.
The course repertoire will celebrate Byrd’s 400th Anniversary, and we’ll be exploring the Second English Renaissance (Stanford, Parry) and the “Holy Minimalists”: Gorecki, Tavener, Part. See the full repertoire here.
Dates: 29 July – 5 August 2023
Venue: St Catharine’s College
FEES: £1,995 (£1,495 non-residential)
BRING A FRIEND AND SAVE £200 EACH!*
The choral summer school course fee includes full board for 7 nights in a Cambridge college, all tuition including a one-to-one singing lesson, welcome drinks reception, music hire and other activities. All rooms are en-suite, single occupancy.
We have a limited number of double rooms so if you’d like to bring a partner along, there’s lots for them to do in Cambridge while you’re singing. They are welcome to join us for meals and social activities and attend evensongs and concerts.
A limited number of Student Scholarships are available for singers aged 18-21yrs. To apply, please email email@example.com.
Applications: we will be seeking to create a balanced chamber choir. If you’re an experienced choral singer with good note-reading ability, this is the course for you!
* Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer
Cambridge Chorał Academy is an independent organisation which contracts with Cambridge Colleges for the use of facilities. This event otherwise has no connection or association with the University of Cambridge or its Colleges